David Corker Partner
David Corker is “incredibly cerebral and a great strategic thinker when needed for complex criminal cases” (Chambers UK 2019). He has a formidable reputation as a criminal and regulatory litigator. He is ranked as a key individual in the fields of Financial Crime: Individuals and POCA Work & Asset Forfeiture by Chambers and Partners UK 2020, and as a leading individual in the field of Financial Crime: High Net Worth Individuals by Chambers HNW 2019. He is also ranked as a leading individual in Fraud: White-Collar Crime by The Legal 500 2020. David is highlighted as “absolutely fantastic” in Who’s Who Legal: Investigations 2018 and one of the most highly regarded individuals by Who’s Who Legal for Business Crime Defence and Investigations.
Areas of expertise
David specialises in acting for clients implicated in criminal or regulatory investigations, many of them international. He has many years’ experience of fraud, corruption cases and cartel investigations and also maintains a thriving general criminal practice.
David has acted for clients in almost every large criminal fraud case undertaken by the Serious Fraud Office. He has considerable experience in international criminal cases involving, for example, allegations of corruption, money laundering or cartels. In relation to Financial Conduct Authority investigations, his work has focused on alleged insider dealing, boiler room frauds and misleading the market. He has also represented clients in connection with allegations of homicide (including gross negligence manslaughter) and sexual offences.
David Corker is “an innovative thinker, takes nothing for granted, exceptionally perspicacious tactician, modest and very highly-regarded by other lawyers”.
The Legal 500 UK 2019
- Advising multiple clients being investigated or prosecuted by the SFO for fraud and bribery offences, including acting in the Tesco, JJB Sports, LIBOR and Olympus cases.
- Conducting a corporate internal investigation into suspected bribery at a pharmaceuticals company.
- Acting for a number of individuals who are the subject of hostile FCA criminal and regulatory investigations, including a senior banking figure implicated in the FX scandal.
- Acting in most of the recent and current investigations by the OFT/CMA into alleged cartel activity.
- Acting for celebrities and politicians in relation to historic sex abuse allegations.
- Acting for journalists concerning phone-hacking allegations.
- Advising defendants in relation to the CPS’s largest direct and indirect tax fraud prosecutions.
- Advising companies in relation to various criminal and regulatory matters, including bribery, food safety and money laundering compliance.
- Advising private individuals in relation to general criminal matters, including sexual offences, crimes of violence and harassment.
David Corker received a BA in jurisprudence from Oriel College, Oxford in 1983 and an MA from the University of Sheffield in 1984 in socio-legal studies. From 1984-1987 he served as a constable in the Metropolitan Police before qualifying as a solicitor in 1990.
David regularly writes for the national and legal press and academically about criminal and regulatory law. He is the author of ‘Disclosure in Criminal Proceedings‘ (OUP 2009) and ‘Abuse of Process in Criminal Proceedings‘ (4th Ed) (Bloomsbury, 2014).
David founded his own firm, now Corker Binning, in 2000, having been a partner at Peters & Peters.