Jessica Parker is "incredibly talented".
The Legal 500 UK 2017
Peter Binning is an “absolutely outstanding solicitor” who is “hugely knowledgeable and unflappable in a crisis,” and is commended for his hands-on approach to conducting litigation. He is one of the firm’s co-founders, and brings considerable experience as an SFO prosecutor to his criminal fraud defence work.
Chambers UK 2013
Corker Binning’s ‘top niche practice’ is praised as being ‘on a different level’. David Corker ‘has the skill and tact to deal with difficult negotiations’, and Peter Binning is an ‘outstanding tactician’ with ‘excellent client skills and judgement’. ‘Rising star’ Andrew Smith represented a former company director in relation to Operation Tabernula. Robert Brown is also recommended, for his ‘wealth of experience’.
Legal 500 2015
"They have a high density of the leading players - both David Corker and Peter Binning are very much at the top of the tree."
Chambers HNW 2017
They are up to date on the law, they are agreeable and they are responsive. When there is an issue to be addressed, they do it in a timely way and in expert fashion.
Chambers UK 2016
What the firm lacks in size, it more than makes up for in the experience and expertise of its practitioners, who cover all the key areas of financial and regulatory enforcement. Corker Binning regularly represents large corporations and high-profile individuals in FCA and SFO investigations and prosecutions and clients are impressed by the “sensational level of support on offer”.
Who’s Who Legal 100 2016
Corker Binning is renowned for its expertise in criminal and regulatory litigation with criminal cartel investigations a further forte of the team.
Chambers UK 2012
‘High-quality boutique’ Corker Binning is ‘a leading firm in this practice area, and is involved in many of the most serious and high-profile cases’.
The Legal 500 UK 2017
Corker Binning’s tax fraud lawyers have extensive experience of HMRC’s indirect and direct tax investigations. We have an impressive track record for our representation of some of the largest and most complex prosecutions brought by the Revenue and Customs division of the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
In addition to our tax fraud defence we advise on, and conduct negotiations for, administrative civil settlements using the route most suitable to the case. In every case we consider whether a criminal case can be diverted away from prosecution to a civil settlement. Our tax fraud lawyers have advised in a number of disclosures using the overseas disclosure facilities. In these cases tax and penalties will be paid in exchange for an immunity from prosecution. We work closely with forensic accountants who are expert in reconstructing historic tax liabilities in order to provide a full service in complete confidence.
We also have expertise of acting for professional clients and businesses caught up in investigations by HMRC or the Revenue and Customs division of the CPS. For example, our tax fraud lawyers have advised both individuals and institutions in the financial services sector who have been compelled by statutory powers to provide information to HMRC.More
Our tax fraud lawyers have recently advised on the following matters:
- Advising a number of suspects and defendants in film tax credit scheme investigations, including an investigation in which we persuaded HMRC not to bring any criminal charges in return for a settlement of the tax liability plus interest and penalties.
- Conducting an internal investigation into a group company in which several of the executives had been accused of tax fraud. The outcome of our investigation caused the criminal investigation to be dropped.
- Representing a client in the first negotiated plea agreement with the CPS under the Attorney General’s Guidelines for Plea Discussions in Serious Fraud cases involving over £1.5 million of VAT reclaims.
- An employer in a multi-million pound case concerning the alleged underpayment of the taxes of building workers on a major construction project.
Our lawyers are members of the Tax Investigators Practitioners Group. To learn more about Corker Binning’s expertise in this area, visit business crime and fraud or call 0207 353 6000. You can also read comment and analysis on issues related to tax fraud on the Corker Binning Blog.
Named as key individuals in the field of Financial Crime: Individuals by Chambers UK 2017:
David Corker – Band 1
Peter Binning – Band 1
Jessica Parker – Up and Coming
Andrew Smith – Band 3
- Corker Binning is ranked in Band 1 of recommended firms for Financial Crime: Individuals by Chambers 2017.
- Corker Binning is ranked as a first tier firm for Fraud by Legal 500 2016 and David Corker and Peter Binning are named as leading individuals for Fraud.
- Peter Binning and David Corker are the most highly regarded individuals in International Who’s Who of Business Crime Defence Lawyers 2016.
- Don’t expect prosecutions to come from the Paradise Papers
- Jessica Parker comments on the Paradise Papers on BBC News and The Credit Protection Association
- Andrew Smith comments on the Paradise Papers in The Times Law Brief, BBC News, International Adviser and The Global Legal Post
- Jessica Parker comments on the facilitation of tax evasion in economia
- The rise of corporate transparency in the UK and UK territories
- Peter Binning discusses the Criminal Finances Act and corporate tax evasion in Compliance Week
- As HMRC ramps up criminal enforcement, are you ready for Unexplained Wealth Orders?
- Couple Acquitted of Fraud After CPS Case Collapses
- Jemma Sherwood-Roberts discusses global corruption in The Times
- New consultation announced on the proposed corporate offence of failing to prevent the facilitation of tax evasion
Blog / News