Sources say David Corker is ‘the first port of call for individual representation in a corporate crime context.’ He has significant experience in cases involving allegations of fraud and corruption, as well as cartel investigations.
Chambers UK 2015
Edward Grange is ‘a heavyweight in the field of extradition’, and ‘without doubt someone who really practices extradition day in and day out.
Chambers UK 2014
David Corker has an excellent reputation for advising on cartel defence as part of his white-collar practice.
Chambers UK 2015
"Jessica Parker is an acute tactical thinker who always keeps the interests and sensitivities of her clients at the forefront of her mind."
Chambers UK 2018
The general crime team is praised for its ability to handle the most complicated cases and manage the expectations of demanding clients.
Chambers UK 2011
Robert Brown is "the master of client management and a pleasure to deal with."
Chambers UK 2017
[Peter Binning is] admired for his strong commitment to his clients’ best interests.
Chambers UK 2011
Known for its high-profile work, the firm has a specialism in extradition work, with the ‘very bright’ Andrew Smith recently acting in Shrien Dewani’s extradition proceedings.
Legal 500 2014
Corker Binning’s tax fraud lawyers have extensive experience of HMRC’s indirect and direct tax investigations. We have an impressive track record for our representation of some of the largest and most complex prosecutions brought by the Revenue and Customs division of the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).
In addition to our tax fraud defence we advise on, and conduct negotiations for, administrative civil settlements using the route most suitable to the case. In every case we consider whether a criminal case can be diverted away from prosecution to a civil settlement. Our tax fraud lawyers have advised in a number of disclosures using the overseas disclosure facilities. In these cases tax and penalties will be paid in exchange for an immunity from prosecution. We work closely with forensic accountants who are expert in reconstructing historic tax liabilities in order to provide a full service in complete confidence.
We also have expertise of acting for professional clients and businesses caught up in investigations by HMRC or the Revenue and Customs division of the CPS. For example, our tax fraud lawyers have advised both individuals and institutions in the financial services sector who have been compelled by statutory powers to provide information to HMRC.More
Our tax fraud lawyers have recently advised on the following matters:
- Advising a number of suspects and defendants in film tax credit scheme investigations, including an investigation in which we persuaded HMRC not to bring any criminal charges in return for a settlement of the tax liability plus interest and penalties.
- Conducting an internal investigation into a group company in which several of the executives had been accused of tax fraud. The outcome of our investigation caused the criminal investigation to be dropped.
- Representing a client in the first negotiated plea agreement with the CPS under the Attorney General’s Guidelines for Plea Discussions in Serious Fraud cases involving over £1.5 million of VAT reclaims.
- An employer in a multi-million pound case concerning the alleged underpayment of the taxes of building workers on a major construction project.
Our lawyers are members of the Tax Investigators Practitioners Group. To learn more about Corker Binning’s expertise in this area, visit business crime and fraud or call 0207 353 6000. You can also read comment and analysis on issues related to tax fraud on the Corker Binning Blog.
Named as key individuals in the field of Financial Crime: Individuals by Chambers UK 2018:
David Corker – Band 1
Peter Binning – Band 1
Jessica Parker – Band 4
Andrew Smith – Band 3
- Corker Binning is ranked in Band 1 of recommended firms for Financial Crime: Individuals by Chambers 2018.
- Corker Binning is ranked as a first tier firm for Fraud by The Legal 500 2017 and David Corker and Peter Binning are named as leading individuals for Fraud.
- Peter Binning, David Corker, Jessica Parker and Robert Brown are recognised as leading lawyers in Who’s Who Legal: Investigations 2018.
- CPS drops tax fraud charges against Corker Binning client Matthew Cahill
- Don’t expect prosecutions to come from the Paradise Papers
- Jessica Parker comments on the Paradise Papers on BBC News and The Credit Protection Association
- Andrew Smith comments on the Paradise Papers in The Times Law Brief, BBC News, International Adviser and The Global Legal Post
- Jessica Parker comments on the facilitation of tax evasion in economia
- The rise of corporate transparency in the UK and UK territories
- Peter Binning discusses the Criminal Finances Act and corporate tax evasion in Compliance Week
- As HMRC ramps up criminal enforcement, are you ready for Unexplained Wealth Orders?
- Couple Acquitted of Fraud After CPS Case Collapses
- Jemma Sherwood-Roberts discusses global corruption in The Times
Blog / News