Market commentators attest to Peter Binning‘s expertise, describing him as a “go-to specialist in white-collar defence work who combines technical knowledge with common sense.”
Chambers UK 2013
Corker Binning has ‘huge expertise and experience in advising senior individuals in high-profile, complex and sensitive criminal investigations’.
The Legal 500 UK 2017
They provide high-quality advice. They are criminal lawyers with a good commercial sense.
Chambers UK 2015
At Corker Binning, Andrew Smith ‘is a first-class lawyer, and very user friendly’; he leads the [professional discipline] team, which specialises in financial crime.
Legal 500 2015
Andrew Smith is described as "a very good technical lawyer" with a "fearsome intellect."
Chambers UK 2016
David Corker is a “resourceful operator who spots the important issues in no time.”
Chambers UK 2010
Peter Binning is a leading defence solicitor, who prepares cases “immaculately, with care and thought.
Chambers UK 2014
What the firm lacks in size, it more than makes up for in the experience and expertise of its practitioners, who cover all the key areas of financial and regulatory enforcement. Corker Binning regularly represents large corporations and high-profile individuals in FCA and SFO investigations and prosecutions and clients are impressed by the “sensational level of support on offer”.
Who’s Who Legal 100 2016
Corker Binning has a wealth of experience in defending individuals (including children) under investigation for offences of a sexual nature, from possession of indecent images or extreme pornography, to rape and sexual abuse. Our clients include business professionals, entertainment figures, politicians and sportspeople. We understand that the investigation process itself, providing no right to anonymity for suspects, can destroy careers, reputations and family relationships. We seek to mitigate these consequences wherever possible, sometimes working in a coordinated team with media lawyers and consultants.
Recent years have seen an extraordinary rise in the number of sexual allegations being investigated and prosecuted, sometimes with evidence of dubious credibility. Our lawyers are experienced in representing suspects at the police station, as well as engaging with the police and prosecuting authorities to persuade them not to bring (or to withdraw) criminal charges.
Where a prosecution cannot be stopped, we take an approach proportional to the circumstances of each case. Defending these cases requires forensic analysis and objectivity, combined with sensitivity to the ramifications of a criminal prosecution, which can vary widely from client to client. Our lawyers guide clients step by step through this difficult process, ensuring that all defence avenues are thoroughly explored.More
Our sexual offences lawyers have recently advised on the following matters:
- Acting for several high-profile individuals in the entertainment industry arrested under Operation Yewtree, including one case where no charges were brought.
- Advising the director of a large UK corporate in relation to an investigation into alleged rape and sexual assault (no charges brought).
- Making successful representations to the CPS post-charge not to pursue prosecution against a 15 year old who engaged in consensual sexual activity with his 14 year old girlfriend.
- Advising a Government Minister in relation to allegations of historic sexual abuse made in the tabloid newspapers.
- Preparing a defence at trial for an individual charged with multiple counts of familial sexual assault and possession of indecent images of children.
- Persuading the CPS of the lack of public interest in prosecuting an elderly man for alleged historic sexual abuse dating back over 40 years.
- Advising a corporation on how to address its discovery that its employees had been accessing indecent images on their work computers.
For more information about how we might be able to help you, please call 0207 353 6000 and ask to speak to our partner Robert Brown.
Named as key individuals in the field of Crime by Chambers UK 2017:
Robert Brown – Star Individual
Jessica Parker – Up and Coming
- Corker Binning is ranked in Band 1 of recommended firms for Crime by Chambers 2017.
- Corker Binning is ranked as a first tier firm for Crime by Legal 500 2016 and Robert Brown is named as a leading individual for Crime.
- Robert Brown is the only member of a criminal firm to have been ranked in the Top 10 leading lawyers in the Super Lawyers London 2014 Annual List.
- David Corker discusses Sir Edward Heath and Operation Conifer in The Times Law Brief
- Sir Edward Heath and Operation Conifer – investigation conclusions meaningless?
- David Corker comments on Operation Conifer in The Times Law Brief
- Should there be a new sexual offence of public place voyeurism?
- Danielle Reece-Greenhalgh comments on jurors in rape trials in Solicitors Journal
- “What’s in a name?”: The implications of the Supreme Court’s decision in PNM v Times Newspapers for those named by the SFO as “unindicted co-conspirators”
- The Sexual Offences (Amendment) Bill 2017: Reform for reform’s sake?
- Youth sexting: updated position on self-taken indecent images and social media
- Danielle Reece-Greenhalgh’s article on youth “sexting” published in Criminal Law & Justice Weekly
- New proposals on victim anonymity: a step too far
Blog / News