The ‘extremely talented’ [criminal] practice head Robert Brown, who ‘always sees the bigger picture’, acted for a number of clients on the Leveson Inquiry
Legal 500 2015
Peter Binning is celebrated in Chambers HNW as: "He is excellent. He is very clever and a real thinker about legal conundrums. He is proactive, innovative and very professional."
Chambers HNW 2016
David Corker has a reputation for being “one of the cleverest solicitors practising."
Chambers UK 2014
Regarded as ‘one of the top niche crime firms’, Corker Binning offers a service that is ‘second to none’. The ‘extremely talented’ practice head Robert Brown, who ‘always sees the bigger picture’, acted for a number of clients on the Leveson Inquiry.
Legal 500 2015
Robert Brown “gives you an understanding of the wider picture and puts clients at their ease.”
Chambers UK 2011
Corker Binning is very much at the forefront of legal practice in this field.
Chambers UK 2014
Corker Binning has ‘huge expertise and experience in advising senior individuals in high-profile, complex and sensitive criminal investigations’.
The Legal 500 UK 2017
They are highly efficient and client-conscious - you just get a great service there.
Chambers UK 2016
Corker Binning has a wealth of experience in defending individuals (including children) under investigation for offences of a sexual nature, from possession of indecent images or extreme pornography, to rape and sexual abuse. Our clients include business professionals, entertainment figures, politicians and sportspeople. We understand that the investigation process itself, providing no right to anonymity for suspects, can destroy careers, reputations and family relationships. We seek to mitigate these consequences wherever possible, sometimes working in a coordinated team with media lawyers and consultants.
Recent years have seen an extraordinary rise in the number of sexual allegations being investigated and prosecuted, sometimes with evidence of dubious credibility. Our lawyers are experienced in representing suspects at the police station, as well as engaging with the police and prosecuting authorities to persuade them not to bring (or to withdraw) criminal charges.
Where a prosecution cannot be stopped, we take an approach proportional to the circumstances of each case. Defending these cases requires forensic analysis and objectivity, combined with sensitivity to the ramifications of a criminal prosecution, which can vary widely from client to client. Our lawyers guide clients step by step through this difficult process, ensuring that all defence avenues are thoroughly explored.More
Our sexual offences lawyers have recently advised on the following matters:
- Acting for several high-profile individuals in the entertainment industry arrested under Operation Yewtree, including one case where no charges were brought.
- Advising the director of a large UK corporate in relation to an investigation into alleged rape and sexual assault (no charges brought).
- Making successful representations to the CPS post-charge not to pursue prosecution against a 15 year old who engaged in consensual sexual activity with his 14 year old girlfriend.
- Advising a Government Minister in relation to allegations of historic sexual abuse made in the tabloid newspapers.
- Preparing a defence at trial for an individual charged with multiple counts of familial sexual assault and possession of indecent images of children.
- Persuading the CPS of the lack of public interest in prosecuting an elderly man for alleged historic sexual abuse dating back over 40 years.
- Advising a corporation on how to address its discovery that its employees had been accessing indecent images on their work computers.
For more information about how we might be able to help you, please call 0207 353 6000 and ask to speak to our partner Robert Brown.
Named as key individuals in the field of Crime by Chambers UK 2018:
Robert Brown – Star Individual
Jessica Parker – Band 4
- Corker Binning is ranked in Band 1 of recommended firms for Crime by Chambers 2018.
- Corker Binning is ranked as a first tier firm for Crime by The Legal 500 2017 and Robert Brown is named as a leading individual for Crime.
- Jessica Parker discusses managing electronic data in criminal trials in Fraud Intelligence
- Chaos in criminal disclosure
- Maia Cohen-Lask discusses the Sentencing Council’s new guidelines in cases of Domestic Abuse in Criminal Law & Justice Weekly
- Domestic Abuse: Removing Victims’ Voice
- Danielle Reece-Greenhalgh discusses the Fawcett Society’s Sex Discrimination Law Review Panel in Criminal Law & Justice Weekly
- Lights, Camera, Legislative Action?
- Jessica Maguire discusses the minimum age of criminal responsibility in CrimeLine
- Old enough to know better? The minimum age of criminal responsibility
- Maia Cohen-Lask’s statement on Vladimir Bukovsky’s judgment in The Times Law Brief, the Daily Mail and the Express & Star
- Danielle Reece-Greenhalgh comments on Jon Venables’ sentencing in The Daily Mirror and Liverpool Echo
Blog / News