‘One of the leaders’ in terms of representing individuals, Corker Binning offers ‘excellent value for money’ when it comes to advising corporates. David Corker and Peter Binning are both recommended.
Legal 500 UK 2014
Peter Binning is “a charming and clever lawyer who is a real rainmaker”.
Legal 500 2011
"David is brilliant on forensic and disclosure issues."
Chambers HNW 2017
Jessica Parker "has complete mastery of her cases and excellent client-handling skills."
Chambers UK 2017
Jessica Parker is a well-respected name among peers and clients alike, who praise her expert handling of criminal regulatory matters.
Who’s Who Legal: Investigations 2018
David Corker "has led some big shifts in thinking".
Chambers UK 2018
Corker Binning is "one of the pre-eminent firms in this area at the moment."
Chambers HNW 2017
Peter Binning is well versed in large-scale cartel matters. Sources highlight his pragmatic, commercially aware approach.
Chambers UK 2015
Over the past 15 years, Corker Binning has become a market-leading firm in complex criminal and regulatory investigations. In tandem with this expertise, we have acted for regulators and individuals in a number of professional disciplinary investigations and proceedings, particularly where the allegations are derived from, or overlap with, those being investigated by a criminal or regulatory body.
We are aware that professional disciplinary proceedings, particularly those which impugn a person’s professional integrity, can cause irreparable damage to their reputations. The negative publicity associated with an investigation can itself destroy careers. The sanctions available to the UK’s professional regulators are wide-ranging and include financial penalties as well as temporary or permanent suspension from practice.
Achieving the most favourable outcome to a professional disciplinary investigation, and seeking to avoid the most damaging consequences, depends on taking expert legal advice at the earliest opportunity. Depending on the case, we can advise on drafting written representations, how to answer questions in any interview, the impact of the investigation on a person’s employment status and an effective media strategy designed to reduce negative publicity. Where breaches of technical standards are alleged, we can advise on the types of expert evidence that might be needed to rebut the case. .
We have developed particular expertise in advising lawyers in proceedings before the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal (SDT) and regulatory hearings before the Bar Standards Board (BSB), both on allegations of breaches of professional competence and breaches of confidentiality and integrity. On occasion we have been able to negotiate successful settlements to these cases so that our clients have been able to continue with their chosen career.
We have acted for a number of individuals and firms in regulatory proceedings brought by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and Taxation Disciplinary Board (TDB). Notably, we have also acted for the Financial Reporting Council (FRC), the UK’s independent disciplinary body for accountants and actuaries, on several high-profile cases.
Notably, we have also acted for the Financial Reporting Council (FRC), the UK’s independent disciplinary body for accountants and actuaries, on several high-profile cases. We have also acted for accountants who are subject to investigation by the FRC.More
Some of our recent work in professional disciplinary and regulatory investigations includes advising:
- Advising the Financial Reporting Council on four investigations into firms of accountants and actuaries, or individual accountants or actuaries, as well as acting for accountants who are subject to investigation by the FRC.
- Acting for an individual in the Regulatory Decisions Committee and the Upper Tribunal (Tax and Chancery Chamber) of the FCA in proceedings alleging breaches of investment restrictions and market manipulation arising from the management of a £35m hedge fund.
- Acting for a tax advisory practice in disciplinary proceedings before the TDB concerning alleged breaches of professional competence.
- Acting for a number of solicitors in proceedings before the SRA who also face parallel criminal investigations or prosecutions for mortgage fraud.
Named as key individuals in the field of Financial Crime: Individuals by Chambers UK 2018:
David Corker – Band 1
Peter Binning – Band 1
Jessica Parker – Band 4
Andrew Smith – Band 3
- Corker Binning is ranked in Band 1 of recommended firms for Financial Crime: Individuals by Chambers 2018.
- Corker Binning is ranked as a leading firm for professional discipline by The Legal 500 2017.
- Peter Binning chairing the Corporate Crime panel at Thomson Reuters’ Company Secretary Forum 2017
- Peter Binning discusses corporate fraud in Financier Worldwide magazine’s Rountable
- FX Global Code of Conduct: all for nothing?
- Kim Potts discusses the FX Global Code of Conduct in FX-MM
- Claire Cross comments on FCA enforcement investigations in Law360
- Andrew Smith attending Smart Practice in Trade Security conference
- Corker Binning Partners recognised in Who’s Who Legal: Investigations 2017
- Claire Cross interviewed by Thomson Reuters Regulatory Intelligence
- THE FCA: Less Ho Ho Ho, More CRO
- Nick Barnard comments on the Health and Safety Sentencing Guidelines in Small Business
Blog / News