"They're good at coming up with solutions and strategies for thinking outside the box. They've got strength in depth."
Chambers UK 2017
"They're admirable for being prepared to say 'we don't do everything, but we are completely expert in the things that we do.'"
Chambers HNW 2016
Andrew Smith is praised for his ‘great mind’ and academic approach. Sources comment that ‘he has a very measured and reassuring way about him, and the quality of his work is fantastic.’ He is also recognised for his strengths in extradition and international crime cases.
Chambers UK 2015
Associate to watch Andrew Smith can be relied upon to provide quality work. His broad practice includes substantial extradition expertise as well as the more regular SFO and fraud work.
Chambers UK 2012
A luminary of British and Russian law, [Robert] Brown has been instructed across a striking diversity of cases.
Corker Binning is a ‘class act’. Peter Binning and David Corker are ‘enormously experienced'.
Legal 500 UK 2013
Robert Brown has acted on a number of high-profile cases, including that of Charlie Gilmour. He is universally regarded as a brilliant lawyer, with one source calling him “a star – one of the most popular lawyers in London.” As vice chairman of the British Russian Law Association, Brown is also well placed to handle extradition cases.
Chambers UK 2013
Andrew Smith is well-regarded in Chambers, and notes that he "strategises very well and makes one feel very comfortable with his advice."
Chambers UK 2017
Corker Binning has a wealth of experience in defending individuals (including children) under investigation for offences of a sexual nature, from possession of indecent images or extreme pornography, to rape and sexual abuse. Our clients include business professionals, entertainment figures, politicians and sportspeople. We understand that the investigation process itself, providing no right to anonymity for suspects, can destroy careers, reputations and family relationships. We seek to mitigate these consequences wherever possible, sometimes working in a coordinated team with media lawyers and consultants.
Recent years have seen an extraordinary rise in the number of sexual allegations being investigated and prosecuted, sometimes with evidence of dubious credibility. Our lawyers are experienced in representing suspects at the police station, as well as engaging with the police and prosecuting authorities to persuade them not to bring (or to withdraw) criminal charges.
Where a prosecution cannot be stopped, we take an approach proportional to the circumstances of each case. Defending these cases requires forensic analysis and objectivity, combined with sensitivity to the ramifications of a criminal prosecution, which can vary widely from client to client. Our lawyers guide clients step by step through this difficult process, ensuring that all defence avenues are thoroughly explored.More
Our sexual offences lawyers have recently advised on the following matters:
- Acting for several high-profile individuals in the entertainment industry arrested under Operation Yewtree, including one case where no charges were brought.
- Advising the director of a large UK corporate in relation to an investigation into alleged rape and sexual assault (no charges brought).
- Making successful representations to the CPS post-charge not to pursue prosecution against a 15 year old who engaged in consensual sexual activity with his 14 year old girlfriend.
- Advising a Government Minister in relation to allegations of historic sexual abuse made in the tabloid newspapers.
- Preparing a defence at trial for an individual charged with multiple counts of familial sexual assault and possession of indecent images of children.
- Persuading the CPS of the lack of public interest in prosecuting an elderly man for alleged historic sexual abuse dating back over 40 years.
- Advising a corporation on how to address its discovery that its employees had been accessing indecent images on their work computers.
For more information about how we might be able to help you, please call 0207 353 6000 and ask to speak to our partner Robert Brown.
Named as key individuals in the field of Crime by Chambers UK 2017:
Robert Brown – Star Individual
Jessica Parker – Up and Coming
- Corker Binning is ranked in Band 1 of recommended firms for Crime by Chambers 2017.
- Corker Binning is ranked as a first tier firm for Crime by Legal 500 2016 and Robert Brown is named as a leading individual for Crime.
- Robert Brown is the only member of a criminal firm to have been ranked in the Top 10 leading lawyers in the Super Lawyers London 2014 Annual List.
- The Sexual Offences (Amendment) Bill 2017: Reform for reform’s sake?
- Youth sexting: updated position on self-taken indecent images and social media
- Danielle Reece-Greenhalgh’s article on youth “sexting” published in Criminal Law & Justice Weekly
- New proposals on victim anonymity: a step too far
- Peter Binning discusses anonymity for suspects and victims in criminal proceedings in The Brief
- Stanford sexual assault – what sentence would be imposed in England?
- Naming no names? Anonymity for suspects and complainants in criminal investigations
- Danielle Reece-Greenhalgh discusses proposed amendments to revenge porn litigation in Criminal Law & Justice Weekly
- Revenge Porn: Widening the Net?
- Peter Binning comments on Cliff Richard’s alleged historic sexual assault on ITV News
Blog / News