"They're admirable for being prepared to say 'we don't do everything, but we are completely expert in the things that we do.'"
Chambers HNW 2016
Gemma Tombs is a sound choice for her “organised and efficient” approach.
Chambers UK 2012
[Peter Binning is] admired for his strong commitment to his clients’ best interests.
Chambers UK 2011
Peter Binning is “a charming and clever lawyer who is a real rainmaker”.
Legal 500 2011
David Corker is a co-founder of the firm and a former police constable. He is regarded as “brilliant” and “an excellent solicitor” by market commentators, who praise his flair for finding inventive solutions to the problems posed by complex fraud cases. He has recently been acting in a complex tax fraud valued at £108 million, which is currently being prosecuted by the CPS.
Chambers UK 2013
David Corker is particularly known for his in-depth knowledge of criminal procedure.
Chambers UK 2009
At Corker Binning, Andrew Smith ‘is a first-class lawyer, and very user friendly’; he leads the [professional discipline] team, which specialises in financial crime.
Legal 500 2015
David Corker is ‘enormously experienced’ and ‘first class’.
Legal 500 2013
Business crime & fraud
Our business crime and fraud lawyers have extensive experience advising individuals and companies on the whole spectrum of white collar criminal cases. These cases have included large international frauds spanning several jurisdictions, prosecutions of serious and complex fraud by the Serious Fraud Office (SFO), Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and National Crime Agency (NCA), as well as smaller domestic frauds prosecuted by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS). We have advised on investigations and prosecutions for conspiracy to defraud, offences under the Fraud Act 2006 (including fraud by false representation, fraud by failing to disclose information and fraud by abuse of position), false accounting, theft, tax fraud, mortgage fraud, advance fee fraud, credit card fraud, identity fraud, land banking fraud and boiler room fraud. This experience complements the firm’s wider business crime expertise in areas such as bribery and corruption, insider dealing, money laundering and cartels.
A criminal investigation can start suddenly, with dawn raids, seizures of property, arrests and interviews under caution. Sometimes a company or individual’s assets may be frozen under a restraint order. It is imperative that, in these early stages of an investigation, the right strategy is adopted, so that a suspect does everything possible to avoid prosecution. Our lawyers are experienced in knowing how to engage constructively with criminal investigators – whether that is the SFO, FCA, NCA or police forces including the City of London police and Metropolitan police – whilst protecting our clients’ best interests.
Fraud cases are usually document heavy and contain a morass of complex financial data. The defence lawyer needs to be able to work patiently and skillfully through this evidence in order to highlight the important documents and draw meaningful connections between them. The lawyer needs to be able to think laterally, to challenge his own preconceptions and to return to documents which at first glance appeared to be irrelevant. Above all, the lawyer needs to be able, despite the density of the evidence, to retain the ability to see the wood from the trees, so that resources are devoted (both by the lawyer and the client) to the issues that really matter.
We know how to prepare clients for the task of providing instructions on document heavy fraud cases. We prepare these cases meticulously: we draw up schedules analysing the evidence; we prepare detailed plans which enable us to take our clients’ instructions in a structured and logical fashion; we think critically so that we challenge our clients where appropriate about these instructions and we work with our clients to draft comprehensive and accurate records of their instructions which are used to focus on the strengths and weaknesses in a case, as well as to brief Counsel. These are the building blocks upon which the important tactical decisions can then be made about how to advance our clients’ best interests – should we write to the investigator to argue that our client should not be charged with an offence? Can the admissibility of any of the evidence be challenged? Is expert evidence required? Should we apply for the case to be dismissed?
We are proud of our market-leading expertise in business crime and fraud cases. We aim to prepare each case – regardless of the size or public profile of the alleged fraud – to the highest possible standards. If you are a suspect or defendant in a criminal fraud case, or you have been asked to attend a compulsory interview with the SFO (a section 2 interview) or the FCA (a section 165 interview), please call us on 020 7353 6000 and ask to speak to one of the partners to see if we might be able to help you.More
Recent and current cases in which our business crime lawyers and fraud lawyers have acted:
- Acting for a number of individuals in the current SFO and FCA investigations into alleged LIBOR, EURIBOR and FOREX manipulation, as well as the related US investigations by the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC).
- Acting for suspects or witnesses in the SFO fraud investigations involving Tesco, Rolls Royce, GSK, Barclays Bank/Qatar, ENRC, JJB Sports, Quindell, Bank of England liquidity auctions, Sustainable Agroenergy and Olympus.
- Acting in a number of large-scale insider trading, market abuse and land banking investigations/prosecutions brought by the FCA and/or the City of London police.
- Acting in a range of smaller frauds prosecuted by the CPS usually based on alleged false representations or abuse of position in employer/employee relationships.
Named as key individuals in the field of Financial Crime: Individuals by Chambers UK 2017:
David Corker – Band 1
Peter Binning – Band 1
Jessica Parker – Up and Coming
Andrew Smith – Band 3
- Corker Binning is ranked in Band 1 of recommended firms for Financial Crime: Individuals by Chambers 2017.
- Corker Binning is ranked as a first tier firm for Fraud by Legal 500 2016 and David Corker and Peter Binning are named as leading individuals for Fraud.
- Peter Binning and David Corker are the most highly regarded individuals in International Who’s Who of Business Crime Defence Lawyers 2016.
- THE FCA: Less Ho Ho Ho, More CRO
- Convicting a corporate
- How the flexibility of English common law can encourage good judgment
- Corker Binning Ranked in Legal 500 2016
- David Corker discusses DoJ Forex intent in Fraud Intelligence, FX-MM and FTSE Global Markets
- Peter Binning comments in City AM following the arrest of a HSBC trader at JFK airport and charged with fraud
- David Corker comments on the original FSA probe into Barclays Libor rigging in the Evening Standard
- David Corker comments on the sentencing of ex-Barclays traders convicted of Libor rigging in Reuters, The Guardian, Daily Mail, Yahoo! News, Yahoo! Finance, CNBC, The Irish Times and Metro
- David Corker comments on guilty Libor verdicts of former Barclays traders in Bloomberg, The FT, The Brief, Reuters, The Daily Mail, The Independent, CNBC and Yahoo! Finance
- New consultation announced on the proposed corporate offence of failing to prevent the facilitation of tax evasion
Blog / News